Meet the Expert
- Human security, with emphasis on political and economic security
- Humanitarian assistance and disaster response
- Ethnic conflicts and separatism in Southeast Asia
- Human rights and democratisation issues in Southeast Asia
- Energy security, particularly nuclear energy governance
- Traditional security issues in the Asia-Pacific, particularly South China Sea disputes
I am an associate research fellow with the Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS Centre) at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU). I am originally from the Philippines. I came to Singapore in 2010 to pursue my MSc degree in Asian Studies and joined RSIS in 2012 as a senior analyst.
My research interests encompass both traditional and non-traditional security issues which include energy security, particularly nuclear energy governance; humanitarian assistance, territorial disputes in the South China Sea, ethnic conflicts and separatism in Southeast Asia; nationalism; and human rights and democratisation issues in Southeast Asia. My current research project is on nuclear energy cooperation in Southeast Asia. Most of my recent publications are on this issue and have been published in RSIS Commentaries, The Straits Times and other regional newspapers. I also recently co-authored a journal article that comprehensively discusses regional norms and challenges to nuclear energy governance in Southeast Asia. I have been participating in regional Track 2 meetings on energy security to contribute to regional discussions on nuclear energy governance.